This was a pretty fun weekend. On Friday I convinced Gavin to go see some Bluegrass at the Lark Distillery (it wasn't too difficult to persuade).
We saw the Back Porch Boys, and they were great. They played a mix of original songs and covers. I have to say, the whole evening made me miss Ballard even more- I really wanted to be at Conor
Byrne on a Monday night for the bluegrass jam. We drank Moo Brew (a local microbrew), sat in comfy leather club chairs, and tapped our feet to some music. On a side note, beer is not as scary here as I thought it might be. It is NOT as diverse as Seattle, but I have found a few palatable brews. All in all, Friday evening was very satisfying. The rain gods even played to our Seattle style, and dumped a few buckets towards the end of the night. We ended the night with some yummy pizza from our South Hobart Pizzeria, Mondos.
We saw the Back Porch Boys, and they were great. They played a mix of original songs and covers. I have to say, the whole evening made me miss Ballard even more- I really wanted to be at Conor
Byrne on a Monday night for the bluegrass jam. We drank Moo Brew (a local microbrew), sat in comfy leather club chairs, and tapped our feet to some music. On a side note, beer is not as scary here as I thought it might be. It is NOT as diverse as Seattle, but I have found a few palatable brews. All in all, Friday evening was very satisfying. The rain gods even played to our Seattle style, and dumped a few buckets towards the end of the night. We ended the night with some yummy pizza from our South Hobart Pizzeria, Mondos.Saturday was not as entertaining, filled with more practical errands and low key activities. We had breakfast at one of my favorite cafes - Zest, the library cafe. After scanning the classifieds, we walked to a few car dealerships in order to test drive a few possibilities. I don't really want to go into the car thing, as we did not settle on one yet. After the car stuff, we stopped off for a smoothie before heading to the market to get picnic fare to take to the botanical gardens for the outdoor showing of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Unfortunately the rain gods turned up again, and squashed the plans of sitting out in the grass for lovely theatre entertainment. So...we opted for some indoor movie joys, and watched Burn After Reading.
Sunday started as a housecleaning, laundry doing sort of morning. We decided to use our picnic goodies and head off to Tropfest, the largest short film festival in the world. Gavin and I snagged a spot on the grass at Salamanca and cozied up for a night of movie fun. Unfortunatley, no Tasmanian films made it to the short-list of finalists for Tropfest, but they did show us two at intermission that were very good. As for the finalist of Tropfest, my favorites of the night were: The News, Be My Brother, and One in a Million. Gavin liked: One in a Million, The News, and Furry Cheque Book. The winner of the night was Be My Brother. Ok, now it's Monday and I am back to rescuing lizards from the cats, applying for jobs, being crafty, and reading. And Gavin is back to work.

No comments:
Post a Comment