Gavin and I ventured to North Hobart this afternoon for the Hot Jazz Festival, put on for free by a few of the neighborhood's bars and cafes. Luckily the rain took a break today, and we were able to stroll to the venues without taking a second shower. We started off at The Crescent - a cozy, aged pub. The first band was just finishing as we got there (Angela Bryan Quartet). The next band was why we stopped there- self described as New Orleans/Dixieland, I though they would be fun and get us energized for our next stops. The lead guy (trombone) sang a few of the songs.... I pictured him being a hit on karaoke night at the senior center. The musicians were really good though- clarinet and trumpet especially. He sang one song called Sweet Patootie (Not Fats Domino), he apologized for the rude lyrics (which made Gav and I both giggle). The song was basically, Baby Got Back but more to your grandma's taste :) It even references the woman's dimensions- big breasts, tiny in the hips, and then a big nice bum (I can't remember the exact lyrics). I couldn't keep the grin off my face as I looked around to all these ladies tapping their toes and sipping their wine spritzers.
Next we went to the Republic Bar (a place we have frequented). We ate a super tasty lunch consisting of a Lebanese platter (falafel, hummus, beetroot dip, tabouleh, etc) and a Sri Lanken beef curry pie. YUMMY!!! The band that was up was called Royal Jelly, and featured the clarinet player from the last band (remember that Hobart is small). They were really talented young guys, and we stuck around for a few songs after we finished our meal.
On to a cafe called Onba, a place I have passed a hundred times but have never ventured in. Now, I seriously regret that. The smell of fabulous coffee and delicious chocolate treats hits as soon as you open the door. We made our way upstairs to the cozy music lounge, complete with plush chairs and ottomans all around. It was of course standing room only- in fact we didn't make it to the top, we stood on the stairs. The band, Cardinal Swing (gypsy jazz), was sounding pretty awesome. I think we wished we would have made it there sooner because we only got to hear one song from them before they gave up the stage. Now we have someone to look out for in the gig guide.
We tried a couple other places on our way back to the car- places were definitely filling up for the evening, and neither one of us much in the mood for crowd wrestling. So, we headed home. Nice music, and tasty lunch...today has whet my appetite for spring an summer to come with all of its music fests and outdoor dining!!! Come on summer, weeeeee're waiting!

No comments:
Post a Comment